3. Would the political culture of Iran or Nigeria be more threatened by an enforceable demand by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for greater transparency? Explain briefly why the political culture of the country you chose would be more threatened.
4. Under the 1993 constitution, half of the delegates to the State Duma of the Russian Federation were elected by a plurality system. In 2007, those plurality elections were eliminated in favor of electing the entire Duma by proportional elections.
- What is one major effect the change had on Russian political parties? Why?
- What is one major effect the change had on political power of the Duma? Why?
- What is one major effect the change had on the political power of the president? Why?
- Briefly describe one fact that demonstrates the persistence of that rural-urban cleavage now.
- Briefly describe one way in which the persistence of that cleavage affects Chinese politics today.
- What is a major factor limiting the capacity of the Chinese state to effectively deal with this cleavage?